This page contains resources related to small, adaptable buildings in the area of Design grouped by topics: Small, Attached, Prototypical, and Adaptable. Suggestions welcome! Design > Small
- Video: Slow Home Studio, including managing overlooking neighbors, “clear” and “poor” floorplans, staircases, and entries.
- Video: "The Real Deal: Implemented Incremental Urbanism", presented at CNU 20.
- Site and FREE PLANS: Hi-Res Miami
- E-Publication: Hermann Gonzalez et al, Infill Housing. Also print: Infill Housing. Also events: URBAN_VARIANTS, exhibit at Bas Fisher Invitational, 2013-11-01 to -24; bus tour 2013-11-10.
- E-Publication: Hermann Gonzalez, Jason Chandler & Haley Pery, Infill Housing 2. Also print: Infill Housing 2. Also event: All Buildings Great & Small, exhibit at Coral Gables Museum, 2014-08-29 to -10-26.
- Print: Atelier Bow-Wow, Pet Architecture Guide Book Vol. 2 (World Photo Japan 2002) 176 pages.
- Print: Robert Dalziel & Sheila Qureshi, A House in the City: Home Truths in Urban Architecture (RIBA 2012) 136 pages.
- Print: Eric Firley & Caroline Stahl, The Urban Housing Handbook (Wiley 2009) 313 pages.
- Print: Avi Friedman, Narrow Houses: New Directions in Efficient Design (Princeton Architectural 2010) 256 pages.
- Print: Adam Mornement & Annabel Biles, Infill: New Houses for Urban Sites (Laurence King 2009) 240 pages.
- Print: Sam Newberg, “Little Infill”, Urban Land 2012-03/04, p. 102.
- Print: Peter Skinner, “When a Little Is a Lot: An Architect's View”, Queensland Planner, Vol. 44 No. 1 (2004-03)
Design > Attached
- Video: "Making Urban Facades", presented at CNU 20.
- Video: Store Front. Also gallery: Store Front. Also print: James Murray & Karla, Store Front: The Disappearing Face of New York (Ginko 2009) 336 pages.
- Gallery: Full Frontal TO. Also print: Shawn Micallef & Patrick Cummins, Full Frontal TO: Exploring Toronto's Architectural Vernacular (Coach House 2012) 200 pages.
- E-Publication: Frontage Secrets by Brown Design Studio
Design > Prototypical
- Site: Interface Studio Architects, 100K Houses, Flexhouse
- Site: Rational House
- Site: Brown Design Studio, Single Family - Townhouses (14, 18, and 30 feet wide)
- Site: Living Together: Tenements with Andrew Dolkart
- Site: "What Makes Paris Look Like Paris?" including video, paper, open-source code, Paris/non game
- Video: "Multifamily Residential Building Types for an Enhanced Public Realm", presented at CNU 20.
- Print: Steven Holl, Pamphlet Architecture #5: The Alphabetical City, (Princeton Architectural 1995) 72 pages.
- Print: Steven Holl, Pamphlet Architecture #9: Rural & Urban House Types (Princeton Architectural 1995) 60 pages.
- Print: Doug Kelbaugh, “Typology - An Architecture of Limits”, Architectural Theory Review, Vol. 1 Issue 2 (1996) pp. 33-52.
- Print: James McCown, “Row House, Town House, Brownstone”, Boston Globe 2005-10-09.
- Print: James Tice, “Theme and Variations: A Typological Approach to Housing Design, Teaching, and Research”, Journal of Architectural Education, Vol. 46 No. 3 (1993-02) pp. 162-175.
- Print: Courtyard Housing, ARCH 5110 Housing and Aggregation Studio 2009 fall (Northeastern University School of Architecture).
Design > Adaptable
- Organization: Open Building.
- Site: Design for Reuse Primer (Public Architecture).
- E-Publication: Susan Piedmont-Palladino, "The Incredible Adaptable Rowhouse", Build a Better Burb.
- Print: Avi Friedman, The Grow Home (McGill-Queen's University 2006) 189 pages.
- Print: Herman Hertzberger, Lessons in Architecture (1991).
- Print: Herman Hertzberger, Space & the Architect: Lessons in Architecture 2 (1999).
- Print: Herman Hertzberger, Space & Learning (2008).
- Print: Stephen Kendall, Homeworks: A New American Townhouse (Trafford 2006) 54 pages.